Botox Treatment in St. Louis & Chesterfield, MO
Botox® and Dysport® are FDA approved injectable medications available at our Chesterfield practice in the St. Louis, MO area. These Botox cosmetic injections are administered by our Board Certified Cosmetic Medical Surgeons and Cosmetic Registered Nurses, and have been used for many years to correct frown lines,crow’s feet, dimpled chins, neck bands, lip lines, and forehead lines. It gives the skin a smoother, softer appearance. It is derived from purified protein and delivered by micro-injections.
With BOTOX®, our St. Louis-based team at the Laser & Dermatologic Surgery Center can address numerous signs of aging. The injectable can smooth forehead lines, frown lines, crow’s feet, bunny lines, and a dimpled chin, as well as lift a low eyebrow and downturned corners of the mouth.
How does Botox® work?
Botox® and Dysport® are neuromodulators that prevent the nerve from stimulating and contracting muscles that cause “expression lines.” Relaxing these muscles softens wrinkles in the overlying skin.
Learn more here.
Does Botox® have Side Effects?
Any medical treatment has possible side effects. Fortunately, there are no persistent side effects seen with Botox® and Dysport®. Possible side-effects include:
- Bruising. Taking aspirin or similar medications (Motrin, Ibuprofen, some cold medications) increases this risk.
- Eyelid droop
- Difficulty swallowing has been reported in children given high doses for muscle spasms (never reported with cosmetic use)
- Difficulty whistling if done in lips
What areas can Botox® and Dysport® help?
Fillers can be used in several areas to improve how you look and feel, but the most common areas for the use of fillers are the frown lines between the eyebrows, the horizontal forehead creases, and crow’s feet. Neck creases can also be improved with Botox®.
Are injections painful?
When injected, there is a minor stinging sensation, which lasts for a few seconds. Also, we can apply ice to the treatment area for a few minutes immediately before the injections to further reduce the discomfort and reduce the amount of swelling. Usually, there is no discomfort after the injection. Patients can usually resume normal activities right away. Learn more here.
When will I see results?
Improvement will begin in a few days but can take two weeks for full effect to be achieved. The effects of neuromodulators usually lasts 4 to 6 months and then fade gradually. Clinical studies show longer lasting effects after receiving multiple treatments over time.
Botox® and Dysport® for wrinkles instructions
- Do not use aspirin or aspirin containing medications for at least two weeks before treatment. Do not take Advil or ibuprofen-containing medications for three days before treatment. Tylenol is an acceptable alternative if pain medication is needed.
- Return to normal activities right away.
- Do not lie down for at least 4 hours after injection.
- Contract the injected muscles several times during the first hour after injection.
- If any bruising develops, you may apply an ice pack to the area during the first hour after treatment to reduce the amount of bruising.
- It may take a week or more for the full effect of the injection to become apparent and for the wrinkles to improve.
- If you notice weakness of nearby muscles that were not injected such as eyelid or eyebrow droop, come into the office to have us evaluate and treat it if needed.
- The wrinkles will start to reappear a few months after treatment as the underlying muscle function returns. You may wish to schedule repeat Botox® injections once the wrinkle has re-appeared
For emergencies at night or during the weekend, call (314) 878-3839, leave a message, and the doctor will contact you shortly after that or call 911 for a true medical emergency.
Botox® is part of the Brilliant Distinctions program. Enjoy exclusive savings on select Allergan™ treatments and products by earning points the day of your treatment to redeem for future visits.
*Results may vary per patient.